Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Restore GRUB /Install GRUB manually

Hello Folks I am back with a solution to the most frequently occuring problem in dual boot/multiple boot machines having LINUX.

After the Upgrade of Windows or restoring the system to original factory settings ,the GRUB screen at the time of booting the system is lost.

System automatically boots to Windows.Don't Panic!!It's just due to grub disappearance .Follow the given steps to restore back the GRUB choice menu containing the list of all the OS installed in the system:-

1) Insert a live CD in your computer of any DISTRO of linux.
2) Run the live envionment :).
3) Open the terminal window proceed with the following commands:-
$sudo grub
$find /boot/grub/stage1
(hd0,5) [comment:Displayed for example]
$root(hd0,5) //
$setup(hd0) [comment: If you have more than one HDD and you wish to boot from HDD no. 2 or 3
or so on .Replace hd0 by hd1,hd2 etc.]
Press CTRL+Z
$reboot
4) GRUB screen is loaded with the list of OS available!!

4 comments:

Priyanka Chatterjee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Priyanka Chatterjee said...

Even I faced the same problem sometime back when I formatted the windows..gud post!!!

nik.agarwal said...

It is a general problem.I have sorted this out so many times in my friend's machines :P

Varsha Jaikumar said...

Even I had faced this problem quite a number of times in the past. Next time if such a problem occurs, I hope your post definitely comes to my aid. :)